In March 2013, the Education Committee of the Broadway Green Alliance launched the BGA College Green Captain program, building on the successful Broadway Green Captain program. There are volunteer Green Captains on nearly every Broadway show. They work behind the scenes to make their productions greener, with support from other Broadway Green Captains and BGA members.
Similarly, the BGA College Green Captain program provides resources for greening collegiate theatre productions, as well as a link to the Broadway community and other colleges that are also working tirelessly to reduce the environmental impact of their productions.
How It Works
At each college, there are three key Green Captain roles:
1. A faculty or staff Green Captain, who serves for multiple years and works with student Green Captains;
2. A lead student Green Captain, who works across productions, who may serve on a yearly or term basis;
3. Other student Green Captain(s) for each production.
Each Green Captain will receive a greening kit, complete with a list of more environmentally friendly practices that can be put into place immediately, most of which are currently being implemented on Broadway. Green Captains are able to “ask the BGA” theatre professionals for advice on topics ranging anywhere from greener lighting to use of rechargeable batteries to set recycling and reuse options. In addition, Green Captains are able and encouraged to share green ideas with Broadway Green Captains, other college Green Captains, and our Off-Broadway and regional members using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the BGA website.
Keep us updated on social media, or send us your photos and videos for a chance to be featured by the BGA.
Sign Up Now!
Participating in the BGA College Green Captain program is easy, and free. To participate:
1. Join the BGA.
2. Request our program kit, with resources to get started on your own Green Captain initiative and advice on greening your productions.
3. Track your progress and report back to the BGA and the Green Captain community about your accomplishments.
For more information, please contact the BGA at Green@Broadway.org.
Other Helpful Resources.