One of the nation’s preeminent cultural events, the Tony Awards, in collaboration with the Broadway Green
Alliance and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), took steps to reduce the environmental impact of
its annual awards show, rehearsal period and telecast. The Broadway Green Alliance is an industry-wide initiative
that educates, motivates and inspires the theater community and its patrons to adopt environmentally friendlier
practices. This effort was achieved thanks to the collaborative efforts of The Broadway League, The American
Theater Wing, Radio City Music Hall, and White Cherry Entertainment.
● NRDC has purchased renewable energy credits for 100% of the electricity for the Tony Awards.
● Radio City Music Hall has implemented an enhanced energy-efficiency plan and installed energy-efficient
• NRDC has purchased carbon offsets for 100% of the unavoidable GHG emissions from transportation
● The production/management offices for the Tony Awards use 30% post-consumer recycled paper.
● Radio City Music Hall provides extensive recycling backstage as well as for employees and guests. All trash is
taken to a materials recovery facility where all recyclables are sorted out and recycled.
● The production/management office is recycling all paper, bottles, caps, batteries, office supplies, pens, clips
and re-using binders.
● Radio City Music Hall has retrofitted their restrooms with low-flow toilets and flush meters. Restroom
faucets are hands-free and the rooms feature post-consumer recycled content tissue products.
● The Broadway Green Alliance provides information on Broadway’s green initiatives and tips for the public on
its website and through text access. This information can be accessed by going to www.broadwaygreen.com
or by texting BGA to 99222.